Olshins Pharmacy was established at 114 Congress Street, Newark, New Jersey in 1903.
Prior to 1903, there was another pharmacy in that same location.
This pharmacy was operated by a prominent physician, Dr. Leslie D. Ward.
Dr. Ward teamed up with John F. Dryden and started the Prudential Insurance Company in 1875. Eventually they opened their offices on Broad Street in Newark.
In 1907, Meyer Olshin purchased the pharmacy and renamed it Olshins Pharmacy. Sidney Grodman who was born and grew up in the Ironbound section of Newark, New Jersey, joined Mr. Olshin at the pharmacy.
In 1929, Sidney Grodman graduated Rutgers College of Pharmacy and continued to work at Olshins Pharmacy only leaving during World War II where he served as a captain in the Army Air Force and received numerous commendations. He returned to Olshins Pharmacy, which he purchased in 1953.
Sidney Grodman was appointed by Governor Cahill to the New Jersey Board of Pharmacy and reappointed by Governor Byrne to the same position. He served as president of the New Jersey Board of Pharmacy for approximately 10 years.
During Sidney Grodman's lifetime, he received many awards and distinctions. The City of Newark, New Jersey, honored him by naming a street after him - Sidney Grodman Place.
In 2003 Olshins Pharmacy celebrated its 100th Anniversary of continuous operation.
The pharmacy is open every day of the year.
Olshins Pharmacy has been open every day since 1903 whether it being a major holiday such as New Year's or Thanksgiving or a blizzard or hurricane. The pharmacists at Olshins Pharmacy have always been there to serve the community.
All pharmacists and personnel at Olshins Pharmacy follow in the footsteps of Sidney Grodman of providing the utmost patient care.
114 Congress Street, Newark, New Jersey 07105, United States